Monday, March 28, 2016

COLLEEN

I keep thinking I know you.
And I do.
And I don't.
I keep discovering more.

How is it that you are so pretty?
How is it that you are so smart?
How is it that you are so fucking resilient?
What doesn't kill you makes you more...
Beautiful.

Every injury,
Every hurt,
Done to you,
By those you love,
And those you do not,
Are transformed,
Into pure love,
By a heart,
So absolutely overflowing,
With a kindness I have never seen before.

Through pain and hurt and tears and sorrow and drunkenness and fatigue,
With just a fraction of your magic,
Your hand reaches across the miles while I sleep,
And reaches into my chest as I breathe what I used to wish was my last breath,
And wraps tender fingers around my broken heart,
Crisp mountain air fills my lungs as I,
Am revived.

I open my eyes and see you hovering above me and all I can think is...
How is it that you are so pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment